The toy for future architects and engineers. This project was designed for Madison Reaveley, our 8 year old co-creator. She wanted something that she could build and take apart that could also be useful around the house. Her parents wanted a toy that they wouldn't have to keep putting away all the time. Nicholas Cunningham and I designed Angulii based on these specifications. Below is our process. The Images below are representative of the work I put into this project. Some things (like the final product) Nic and I worked on together and others (like the drawings) were done by just me.
Our primary sketches were made before we met with our co-creator. Once we met with Madi she chose her top three favourite designs and we moved forward with them.
These are the three refined concepts. We worked through the refined concepts with Madi to get a better idea of what exactly she would like included in the designs.
Refined Concept Prototypes
Our prototypes went over very well during the critique and although it was a close call, we ended up going with the triangles. We then named the project Angulii.
Creating a Jig
For this project we were to create a jig so that the manufacturing of the designs were quicker. This was a very interesting process that greatly improved the speed at which we could create each piece.
Testing Connections and Prototypes
After creating our jig we needed to figure out how to connect our pieces. Our original design was too thick, we had the connectors sliding in between 1/8" baltic birch plywood. We decided to cut the thickness in half to make the designs lighter. We decided at this point to connect each piece with the original acrylic clasps.